Monday, September 8, 2008

Spencer Lynch's Critique of "Workers" by Richard Rodriguez

I believe this story is a very good eye opener, especially to those who have never had to labor "hard" to survive in this world. Richard Rodriguez does an excellent job of describing what the true experience of working on a construction crew consists of. Using descripitive language of the heat, dust, bugs, and the speed of the labor that the boss puts on an individual. This descriptiption that he inserts into his writing can make one relate to the strenuous long day that a person can expect as a laborer. Also his descpriction of the Mexican aliens that are always quiet and segregated with their "dark sweating faces" really demonstrates how diverse the work force can be.

The quote "I would not become like them. They were different from me." to me is a very motivational quote. This is something I told myself sometime ago when I was a member of a carpentry crew. I found myself very simulated when I read this story because I have been in Richard's position before. As for an example, listening to men who had worked and labored much longer than I trying to suggest a certain way to do chores. Or the continuous heat that seems to always be beating on your shoulders. Being in Richard Rodriguez's shoes can truely make you appreciate the value of a dollar bill.

No comments: