Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"No Name Woman Critique" by Matt Duncan

I found the story, "No Name Woman" to be a very intriguing story. Although, the telling of the mother's story had me confused at first; I am not quite sure why, but I thought that the mother's story was being told from Kingston's perspective. After realizing that it was Kingston's mother telling the story, the story made a lot more sense. My interpretation of the story is that Kingston's mother was brought up in a time filled with Chinese traditions, many of which are looked upon as criminal acts today. I was a little appalled by the fact in this Chinese village, the villagers somehow believe that breaking and entering, murder, and overall just being intolerant is somehow better than adultery. Adultery, in this day and age, happens everyday and this is not a good enough reason to drown an infant and it's mother in a well. From the text we are unable to tell whether or not the story about Kingston's "Aunt" was indeed factual, or if it was just another scare tactic to keep young girls from having pre-marital sex. However, it is erroneous whether or not the story is true because the message that Kingston's mother wanted to get across to her was received and she definitely did not end up like the No Name Woman. I feel like I grasped the concepts of the story, however, after finishing reading I had to go back once or twice just to really comprehend what had happened.

2 comments:

Spencer Dora Peggie Matt said...

Good insight, Matt,and good critque.

Spencer Dora Peggie Matt said...

Good insight, Matt, and very good critique. Peggie