Monday, September 1, 2008

A walk in the streets of New York City

Living in a small town is a lot better then I thought. It was last summer that my mom told me we were going to take a trip to New York City. Me being a small town girl and happy were I am, I was not to happy but it was something new, different and exciting so I made the best of it. I learned a lot when I went and it made me even more happy to live where I live. This is my view of a walk in the streets of New York City. 

I stand looking up into a world wind of lights and buildings towering over me, I proceed to look around and there is a sea off people swarming around me. Maybe they have to be at work, maybe they are late for a date or maybe they are just so used to the fast pace but it overwhelms me in a way that makes me want to rush with them and go along with the crowd even tho I have no particular place to go. I walk the streets of New York thinking of home and missing the sound of familiar voices, of a more heart felt place, more personal, more known. I walk further, I look to my left and see a man sitting on the ground with a sign that read "will work for food" and it makes me think, of course I see this at home but never this close and as I reach down to give him a five dollar bill I get bumped into by a man in a business suit that could care less about me or the man who hasn't eaten all day. I want to go home.   Dora B.

1 comment:

Spencer Dora Peggie Matt said...

Hey, Dora,
Great human interest story, and it speaks volumes about you . Although you were feeling sad and lonely in the big, cold city of New York, you forgot about yourself and reached out to help a fellow man. How unselfish. Kind of remind me of the song "He and heavy,he's my brother".