Friday, September 5, 2008

"Workers" critique by Dora Barnhil

"The curse of shame was broken by the sun; I was no longer ashamed of my body." This quote out of the story Workers by Richard Rodriguez in my opinion shows what Richard got out of his experience working hard labor for a summer. I feel like that through seeing different races and the more unfortunate people of his race that made him more thankful that he is not like them. I also feel that the satisfaction of knowing that he could work that hard made him appreciate himself more. On the other hand I felt as if he was trying to put down the "not so fortunate" community. Overall I didn't like Richard's ignorant view of "the worker " and the tone of the story was very demeaning and I was left feeling confused.
I have had many different jobs such as, working a a grocery store, Subway making subs, making furniture and my current job as a CNA. I would have to say that all of these jobs have made me who I am and they have helped me appreciate the value of a dollar. Working at Davis nursing home as a CNA has helped me in even more ways then I could ever imagine. It has shown me the value of life, to appreciate my parents and to care for others. I can't really relate any of my past experiences to Richard's but I do feel that I have felt the same way that he did, that I found myself even more through being a "worker".


No comments: