Sunday, October 12, 2008

Critique " How to Tame a Wild Tongue" by Peggie McNeil

I read the essay and found it to be a very strong writing. I appreciated the metaphor "you just cut it out". That is what happens in the end. For this Critique, I decided to find the definition of four words that are contained in the writing. I thought of examples of their connotation because I couldn't find anything for the connotations.



1. Acculturating- Absorb and integrate into a different culture( denotation)-Micheal Jackson( connotation), Origin: Americanism, 1880.



2. Aberration- A deviation from the proper or expected course( denotation)- Rebel ( connotation), Origin: Latin, 1585-95



3. Abhorrence- One that is disgusting or repellent, loathsome( denotation) - Bum or wineno (connotation): Origin: Americanism, 1650-50



4. Agringadas- Gringo like or a Women Libber( denotation) - a White person ( connotation)

2 comments:

Spencer Dora Peggie Matt said...

Good critique, and nice thinking on using the vocabulary. Some of those words were challenging while I was trying to read the story. Your post helped me better understand. Thanks!

Spencer Dora Peggie Matt said...

Sorry I forgot to add my name, Peggy. Again good post. -Matt