Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"How to Tame a Wild Tongue" by Gloria Anzaldua critique-Dora Barnhill

En boca cerrada no entran moscas. "Flies don't enter a closed mouth" is one of the sayings that Gloria mentioned in this essay. I found this story very hard to read and it hardly kept my attention. I felt like the story would have been more effective and enjoyable if she had clarified what more of the Spanish words meant. Because of this I had to look up alot of words. Here are some of the ones I looked up.

1.Bracero- A Mexican laborer admitted legally into the U.S. for a short period to perform seasonal, usually agricultural, labor.

2. Corrido- A Mexican ballad or folk song about the struggle against oppression and injustice

3. Mestizas- A woman of mixed racial ancestry, especially of mixed European and Native American ancestry.

4. Pocho- An Americanized Mexican.