Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Stereotyping of Arabs by the U.S. ensures years of turmoil critique by Dora Barnhill

Edward Said wrote about stereotyping of Arabs in the U.S and he blames America for the turmoil in the middle east. I agree with Edward that in America we stereotype Arabs unnecessarily. I have seen this first hand and I must say I can be accused of it. When I see a Arab pass me on the street I have a since of fear even though this particular person is just like myself. I feel that this is wrong and I feel that Americans will always feel this way. 
I disagree with Edward when he blames America for the turmoil in the middle east. The reason there is turmoil, is because neighboring countries are invading each other. This fact has nothing to do with America and if anything America is trying to change this. We are fighting in Iraq at this very moment to change this. 

1 comment:

Spencer Dora Peggie Matt said...

Good posted, Dora, and I respect your opinion; However, I don't agree with it.

Peggie