Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Why I Want a Wife" Critique by Matt Duncan

1972 when this article was written was right in the middle of the women's rights movement. In fact, Title 9 occured in 1972. I think that Judy Brady was trying to get across the point of all the things that women did for their spouse's and their families growing up in that time. A woman's "job" during that time was to be the stay at home mom, if you will. Washing the dishes, taking care of the kids, cleaning the house, and even getting a job to help get their husband's through college were not out of the norm. Even today some women are still stay at home moms, but with the changes in society over time it is not unusual for dads to be stay at home dads nowadays. Women have become increasingly independent because of the women's rights movement and new jobs and other opportunities in life that were not open to women then, are available now. I grew up in a family were my dad would go out and work all day to make money to provide our family with food and shelter. While my mom would take care of my three brothers and I, clean the house, cook the meals, etc. Some women, like my mother, enjoy this lifestyle while some pursue a more business job environment. All in all I thought it was a decent read, I was a little dissapointed how Brady made the male aspect in this story seem as if they did absolutely nothing except "education, and then eventually a job, allowing the wife to quit her job and take better care of a wife's duties."

1 comment:

Spencer Dora Peggie Matt said...

Another great post, Matt. Keep up the good work.
Peggie